At Themify, we build user friendly themes and tools to help people to make beautiful WordPress sites. Today, we are proud to introduce Themify Flow, a free framework that allows users to build and customize WordPress themes without any coding.
Why Themify Flow?
Making WordPress themes has always been a complicated task. Not only you need to have PHP and CSS skills, but a good understanding of the WordPress API and theme system. This means that designers without coding skills will not able to build a feature-rich theme. Flow is intended to fill this gap. It provides easy-to-use interface that allows anyone to build and customize a complete theme on the frontend, as well as in backend admin. No PHP, CSS, or FTP to upload files.
What can Flow do?
Flow is not a page builder, but a complete theme builder that allows you to create templates, headers, sidebars, footers for specific page views. It works with any WordPress.org site with any existing content (posts, pages, and even custom post types).
Who is Flow for?
- Designers can use Flow to design themes without any coding. Flow themes can be exported and imported with the simple import tool.
- Developers can build child themes and addons to extend the functionality of Flow.
- Theme and plugin authors can build & themes, add-ons, or any other kinds of projects to use with Flow because it is an open source project.
- DIY users can take full control of theme customization, anything from template layouts to styling (technically: everything from header to footer).
Some Technical Facts
- Flow is 100% responsive, with an option to display fixed width design.
- Flow is built with a modular coding system, and resource files are loaded only when necessary. The template queries and generated CSS are cached for fast performance.
- Coded with HTML5 and schema.org markup, Flow is SEO friendly. You can even pick what HTML tag to output for site logo, title, etc.
- Themes created with Flow are 100% mobile-friendly, passing Google’s mobile-friendly test. This can help your site to rank better on Google mobile search (you can read the related article here).
- Flow is powerful, but lightweight in file size. The current framework/theme zip (themifyflow.zip) is less than 1.1mb.
- Flow utilizes the WordPress API and custom post types to ensure compatibility between WordPress and other plugins.
- Flow theme system (templates, template parts, template assignment, and modules) is inspired by WordPress. The drag & drop interface was adopted from Themify Builder.
We will be releasing themes and addons that are specially built to work with Flow. Meanwhile, we hope you enjoy this initial release. If you spot any bug or have any suggestions, please kindly let us know. To designers and developers, we welcome you to share and contribute to Flow. Contact us if you have any questions!
— Themify Team